Matilda the Musical: Cambridge Theatre


Matilda the Musical is based on the novel of the same name by Roald Dahl.
I'm going to hope that you had a childhood and already know this classic story;
five year old Matilda, blessed with a magical brilliance beyond belief,
shows that you can be small and still have the power to stand up to the bullies that are knocking you down.

The musical opened when I lived here in 2012, and for some reason I put it off
until I was headed back to the states and missed it completely.
Very similar to my Sweeney Todd horror story - which really just sums it up to that being my year of stupidity when it came to good theatre.

 This show had a lot of hype when it came out - both in the West End,
and when it made it's debut on Broadway.
It's still got a great reputation, which only told me that I needed to FINALLY get to it.

All that I expected was children. A lot of children.
And that's exactly what the show was.
A ton of insanely adorable, and freakishly talented children running around
and making this show absolutely incredible.

 
 
Anna-Louise Knight was in the role of Matilda for the performance,
and I swear this girl can't be any older than 8.
She was SO tiny, but full of spunk and ferocity - such a joy to watch her jumping around on stage.
 
The ensemble of kids gave off just as much energy -
you could really tell they were dancing their little hearts out, having the time of their lives.
It's one thing to see a group of actors who are so solidly talented,
but to see children with that kind of ability is something else. Amazing, really.
 
Will Kenning was on for Miss Trunchbull,
and I didn't even realize he was the 1st cover until I was told after the show.
He was everything you'd want for the role - hideous, psychotic, child-abusing,
and a ridiculous riot to watch.
 
Adding to this was some of the sharpest choreography I have seen,
which I think is what really sold the show for me.
That, and the witty and hilarious score supplied by the brilliantly clever Tim Minchin.
To put it simply - these songs are catchy as hell.
 
I knew it was going to be a great show, but it really exceeded all of the expectations that I had.
There aren't many shows that can completely nail it - story, set, score, cast - and this show did just that.
If I could recommend something to become a priority on your to-do list, Matilda is definitely the show.
 

Matilda runs at the Cambridge Theatre.
Performances run Tuesday 7:00PM, Wednesday - Saturday 7:30PM
with matinees Wednesday & Saturday 2:30PM & Sunday 3:00PM
The running time for this show is approximately 2 hours 35 minutes with one interval.

 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You know the drill.
Link up below!





Instagram

Where The Heart Is - An American in the UK. Theme by STS.